Monday 11 February 2013

OUGD406 - Design is about doing: Vinyl Cover Research

Since we were given our brief today I thought it would be ideal to firstly do some research into vinyl covers to find any which I find inspirational and which I could imagine myself taking inspiration from to create a cover for Jessie Ware. This one caught my eye instantly as I find it really interesting how the designer has used simply geometry to alter the image in the background. It breaks it up and makes it even more visually powerful. I also love the colours which have been used and think they work in a way that produces a striking, professional design.









 
I love this cover as it is such a simple idea, yet the colours used within the 'X' are quite complex and have been chosen very specifically to form a metallic looking pattern.

 Pinned Image

 
I like how this cover is hard to decipher and understand. It makes me think in more depth as it is not obvious to the eye. I prefer designs like this which have meaning behind them. Rather than just producing something because it 'looks good', as this isn't graphic design in my opinion.

Pinned Image

 
This very much reminds me of a design which would closely represent Jessie Ware's personality. Once again black and white have been used to create it, and I think it is a really strong and striking design.

Pinned Image

Source

This is a typically geometric design. I like it but it isn't overly unique and I have seen designs along the same lines several times. I would much prefer to create something which represents my own signature style.
 
Pinned Image

Source

I think this is a clever concept, the way the designer has incorporated the shape of the vinyl with the number 2. I am not as keen on the typefaces which have been used though as I don't think they work well all together and too many have been used.

Pinned Image

Source

I really like these designs in particular as the individuals have been deindividualised by covering their faces with the design. I can closely relate to these designs as well because I am not that confident with drawing faces and intricate details so it is a unique way of avoiding this and creating something different.

Pinned Image

Source

I have always wanted to use inks to created an interesting image. I love this design. They have used a geometric shape combined with a stunning visual photograph and they work really well together. I also really like the type which has been placed near the bottom as it is just enough without making it look overcrowded.

Pinned Image

Source

Once again a very geometric design combining a photograph with geometric shapes drawn digitally. I think it works really well to create an interesting and enticing visual.

Pinned Image

Source

Pinned Image

Source

The simple shapes that have been used here are very symbolic and striking, the negative space around the edge makes them all the more interesting. I will definitely take this into consideration when designing my own.

Pinned Image

Source

This is a simple and very effective way of designing an album cover, it almost have two dimensions to it, one with the pattern behind it and one when the pattern is being lifted away, perhaps representing a song on the album.

Pinned Image

Source

This is really clever and obviously not achievable for me however I could propose the idea and the design could be printed professionally on to the vinyl.

Pinned Image

Source

This has the same effect as the previous one, with a print on the vinyl inside, allowing the two items to come together and work well as a set.

Pinned Image

Source

I love the type used on this design. It almost frames the circular design in the centre of the album cover.

Pinned Image

Source

This has been so intricately designed, the repeat pattern works well against the black and creates lots of interesting shapes. I could look at doing something along the same lines.

Pinned Image

Source

This image in black and white with the soft colour overlaying it represents the title of the album really well. It is very appropriately designed, but I don't know what the significance of the pattern is here, unless it is just for effect.

Pinned Image

Source

The two designs below use a variety of tones to create soft imagery with no sharp edges, I don't think this would represent Jessie Ware very well but I like the outcome of it.
Pinned Image

Source




Source

No comments:

Post a Comment