Tuesday 8 October 2013

OUGD504 - Design Production: Studio Brief 1 (Design For Print Briefing)

This morning we had a briefing on design production. I made some notes throughout the presentation and noted down anything which I thought was relevant and beneficial to me.

- We will be making an info pack of things to know about print
eg. booklets, posters, postcards
- Consider type/image/use of both
- Inform/Educate/Instruct
- All about detail
- Submission - make sure we evaluate primary and secondary source material
- Multiple PDF will be needed
- The content should be ordered and informative
- Use research for inspiration
- Consider the PURPOSE
- Consider the AIM
- At the end of every workshop blog my response linking it to the brief
- Possible research: Colour conventions, inks, etc
- Evidence research into production methods/formats, stock considerations, colour systems, commercial costings, type and font usage.
- Make sure I tag categories when I blog
- Who am I talking to?
- Why am I talking to them?
- What do I hope to achieve?
- Tag the brief (Brief 1)

This module

- Form/Function/Production

Focus on:
- Appropriateness of response
- Quality of resolution
- Meeting the deadline

- What is the problem?
- Who is the audience?
- What is the context?
- What is the method?

Always ask yourself 'WHY IS IT A PROBLEM?'

- Think about the language

Rationale:
- What?
- Why?
- Concept?
- Idea?
- Research?
- Creative?
- Ethical?
- Commercial?

- DO FIRST HAND RESEARCH

For example - Ethical - Sustainability - Serious tone - Vegetable based inks

- Handmade?
- Digital?
- Lens based?

- Is is the MEDIA/MESSAGE?
- Don't want to patronise audience

- Continually improve work
- Arrange crits
- Ask the audience themselves

THINK ABOUT:
- Product
- Range
- Distribution

What else could it be?
- Make it bigger

- Needs to look good and perform well!

CHALLENGE YOURSELF!

Studio deadline

Final crit - 12/11/2013
Final studio deadline - 10/12/2013

Module deadline

15/01/2014

Ideally need to finish the work the week of the final crit.

Initial response

Having had our briefing, I feel as though there is a lot of scope and there are so many options and avenues for us to explore along the way. It is important that we don't limit ourselves and perhaps settle with our first idea where production is concerned, I am prepared to explore as much as I can do within this brief to gain as many skills as possible. At the moment I am hoping to combine editorial with packaging in some way.


No comments:

Post a Comment