Thursday 24 October 2013

OUGD504 - Design Production: Design For Web (Further Inspirational Research into Sugarcane)

Today when I was typing up the session regarding our web brief, I had an idea about what to base my website on. I had struggled during the session to reach the idea but then it clicked whilst I was overlooking the research I had carried out over Summer. I have decided to focus in on Sugar cane. 

Videos

I found the video below which is not only extremely informative to me, but I also really love the infographics used, as well as the choice of colour. I will most certainly take inspiration from this when considering the design of my own website.


Source


Emotive Images

Whilst searching on Behance for any design work relating to sugar cane, I came across the following images. Instantly when I looked at them I felt a strong sense of sadness as these are the living conditions for some of the people during sugar cane collecting season. It then made me think about another possible dimension to my website, and perhaps having one of the pages telling the user all about the people who collect the sugar cane and the lives they live. This could in turn make people think a bit more about it in a serious way, and would perhaps encourage people to think, and when possible to buy products which they are enabling to be produced, for example Ecover packaging (one of the case studies I looked at). If I was going down this route I could perhaps make part of the website more emotive and ask for donations for these people, whereby the majority of the money would go to them, but the small percentage left over could be given as funding to companies who have/want to invest in sugar cane products or packaging.



Typeface Research

I came across this typeface which has been created using sugar granules and thought this would be interesting to perhaps experiment with if I have the time. Although I am not entirely sure it would be necessary. It would work quite well however if not all of my text was created in this way for the website, but I could perhaps just include in on my homepage and dye the sugar green to represent sugar cane plants.



Sugar Cane Uses

I think it is important that I explore all of the different uses for sugar cane. Although at the moment I am not entirely sure of what to include on my website and what tone of voice to have, I think that the more research I have to work with, the better. I think once I feel as though I have a substantial amount, I will then be able to categorise the information.









Photo Manipulation

When I came across this online it gave me the idea to get some primary research from Liverpool as I have family who live very close to the sugar factory there. This could initially just be photography of it, and then if I choose to I could find out more about it and have it as a case study. However I think if this was going to be included on my website, there would have to be more of a reason for it being there, and I think it would have to be featured along side other places too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment