Monday 18 March 2013

OUGD406 - Speaking From Experience: First Year Review

This brief has been given to us as first year students. We are now approaching our second year at Leeds College of Art and I can't believe how quickly first year has gone. I thought it would be beneficial to be when completing this brief, to know and reflect upon my strengths and weaknesses over first year and possibly consider the things I wish I had known.

When starting the course I knew that it was going to be challenging, but that is why I chose it. I have always been aware of the amount of work expected and I think this is made clear on open days too. No matter how prepared you may feel however there are always going to be small things relating to the course that make you feel nervous or slightly less confident.

Meeting new people for many students is hard and therefore making friends quickly is also hard. I think that by completing this brief and being able to discuss and welcome the first year students to the college, it will not only benefit them, but it will also benefit us, as it will reinforce all of the reasons we are studying here and remind us of how important it is to work as hard as possible in the time that we have left. It will allow them to get to know us, and vice versa. This will help during studio sessions as they will feel more comfortable with having us around. I would have loved to have had this interaction at the start.

There will be so much for them to consider, as I remember how nervous I felt on the first day. With not only having to think about the course and the workload, but also ensure that my shopping, washing and everything else was maintained. I hope that by producing something to make them feel less homesick it will allow them to feel more comfortable in a new environment but will also encourage collaboration amongst the different year groups. I feel as though if we were more involved currently with the second and third years we would be able to prepare ourselves for what is to come and possibly get some tips off them.

I am therefore going to work hard to try and produce something which is memorable and lighthearted for them to use. The design aspect of it is also just as important so that they can see what is expected of them by the end of their first year. This will hopefully set standards and start them off on a positive note.



No comments:

Post a Comment