Thursday 10 April 2014

OUGD505 - Design Practice 2: Studio Brief 3 Film Poster (Research)

I have decided to research into all of the different influential designers mentioned in the brief we have been given. I am sure that I will find some of the posters more influential than others, so this will help me to identify what I want to include and what I want to disregard for my own film poster. 

Richard Amsel

I can appreciate the detail in the following movie posters, however I wouldn't produce something similar, as they are all very illustrative and I don't feel confident enough in that area. I think I could definitely take influence from them, by looking at the layout and the choice of typography depending on the genre of the film. This is something I will consider when it comes to me designing my poster for 'Terms of Endearment'.

Richard Amsel is my favorite poster designer hands down. The general aesthetic and the way he emphasizes all of the individual characters gets the sentiment of the film across more than any other designer I know.

Richard Amsel TV Guide Cover, April 8, 1978, "Alice"

Richard Amsel  Promotional Film poster  1970

Richard Amsel's "Little Miss Marker" (`1980) movie poster

GQ promotion for The Great Gatsby (1974) - Amsel 002

Richard Amsel

Bill Gold

I much prefer these designs by Bill Gold. I really like how the shape of the blade in the first poster for 'Clockwork Orange' has been mirrored and used to frame the face of the woman inside. This is something I could most certainly take influence from, as I feel it is a clever yet subtle way to illustrate connections within films. As my film is very emotional and quite heartbreaking at the end, I had already considered using a silhouette of an eye and illustrating a certain aspect of the film inside. This is something that Bill Gold has done, and I also think I must have subconsciously seen it many times before, so maybe this is something I should try and avoid if I would like my design to be memorable and different. 



The Bridges Of Madison County - Clint Eastwood - movie poster designed by Bill Gold

Deliverance (1972) - US One Sheet (Bob Gold)

Bill Gold - Alien #movie #movieposter

Clint Eastwood movie poster designed by Bill Gold.

All City Media

In a similar way to this poster, I had considered illustrating a heart and then using the different areas as a way of illustrating separation and segregation portrayed throughout the film. This is something I am definitely going to explore, as I think it could be a success. Seeing this poster has also given me confidence in this idea, as I think it works quite well.

1 sheet

1 sheet

Olly Moss

As soon as I searched for Olly Moss' work I loved it. I am a huge fan of posters which use the colour scheme he works with. I love how simple yet effective his ideas are. By taking a silhouette and using the space inside of it to create a striking image, he manages to create really strong, powerful imagery. His use of typography is also extremely effective. I think I am going to be taking most of my influence from this designer. 


Reworking of classic film posters

The Amazing Olly Moss posters

olly moss poster

Rocky Poster by Olly Moss

My favorite Olly Moss poster of all time.

Resistance 3: Capelli Version by Olly Moss

The Amazing Olly Moss posters

The Amazing Olly Moss posters

Olly Moss take on Die Hard

Heinz Schulz-Neudamm
Once again, I find this designer's work far too busy and illustrative. I can appreciate how much time has gone into each of the individual designs, however I wouldn't get as much satisfaction out of producing something similar. I also think that a lot of them look outdated and although my film is quite old now, I want to design the poster so that it would have been appealing then, as well as now, and so I feel it needs to have a modern feel to it.
Metropolis movie theatrical poster designed by Heinz Schulz-Neudamm.  This was actually a very good movie, and very much ahead of it's time.
Heinz Schulz-Neudamm, Winchester '73, 1950
Heinz Schulz-Neudamm, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Heinz Schulz-Neudamm, Boom Town
Reynold Brown
Reynold Brown's work is very bold and brash. The colours used throughout all of the different movie poster designs are quite overpowering and not necessarily easy on the eye. I therefore don't find any of these designs particularly inspirational, but it has been useful to look at them and recognise traits which I am not fond of. 

MP1099. "She Gods Of Shark Reef" Movie Poster by Reynold Brown (Roger Corman 1958) / #Movieposter
Really nice article about iconic film posters from a designer's perspective
reynauld brown

MP343. "The Night Walker" Movie Poster by Reynold Brown (William Castle 1964) / #Movieposter
Drew Stuzan
The movie posters designed by Drew Stuzan appear to be quite different from all of the others. The imagery is quite dark and moody and this in itself creates a unique aura for each film. I wouldn't particularly say that I would be able to take influence from these posters, however I think one thing I can take from them, is that, to be able to create a successful movie poster using image alone, it is important that the imagery is strong enough. Otherwise, text should really be used to support it. 

Hellboy by Drew Struzan. Sadly, the studios opted for photoshop poster instead of this gorgeous creation by Drew.
Back to the Future (2) by Drew Struzan
Skynerd :: iamironman: A incrível arte de Drew Struzan
A Different Drummer: Drew Struzan: Movie Poster Illustrator

Continuous Theme
It seems that each designer works with a certain colour scheme all of the way through their work. This is obviously how they become so well known and established for their work, as it is so easily identifiable. I would love to be able to design a poster which would have the same effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment