Saturday 12 April 2014

OUGD501 - Context of Practice: Studio Brief 2 (Primary Research Kimberly-Clark)

Kimberly-Clark

Having already been and visited McDonald's for some primary research, I thought it would be worthwhile for me to carry out some further research into Kimberly-Clark. I did this to broaden my options, and also to give me more inspiration as I feel like I need to research further before making any decisions. Although my visit to McDonald's was quite inspiring, in terms of it giving me some ideas for my practical, I wasn't satisfied with any of the ideas and I think this might be because there have already been so many examples of work produced in response to the brand, whereas there hasn't been as much for Kimberly-Clark as they aren't as controversial, having set out to be sustainable from the word go. 

I went to Tesco and bought a box of their tisses so that I could look at the design of them and the information included on the lid. When I got them home I decided to take photographs and analyse the packaging a little closer. 




I already had some of the pocket sized tissues as well and so I was able to analyse this packaging too. All of the Kleenex packaging is extremely simple and minimal, as it doesn't need to be too overcrowded. I like the idea of creating something which is really simple and straight to the point, as this would coincide with their branding well.


I also thought about how I could maybe look at recycling toilet rolls and printing information out which can be wrapped around the roll and torn off as appropriate. I feel this is an appropriate idea but needs working on. 


I also visited another Tesco store to see whether they had a wider selection, and they did. I wanted to see whether I could find any further inspiration from the secondary research I carried out online. I didn't really find anything strikingly different about these designs, but it was interesting to see that there were a lot of long rectangular boxes as opposed to square.


Since carrying out this research, I have come to the conclusion that I would like to focus my attention on Kimberly-Clark as opposed to McDonald's. I have already had a quick browse online to see whether many materials have been produced in the past for Kimberly-Clark and there are very few. This gives me an opportunity to be able to create something which is completely fresh and new and enables me to look at all of my findings from both McDonald's and Kimberly-Clark and produce an idea which I feel suits the brief in the best possible way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment