This post demonstrates my development from start to finish from the start of the Christmas period to the submission. It also takes into account everything I learnt during Summer, with references to past ideas portrayed on my Summer development post. All of the images are clearly annotated where they need to be to help to explain the concepts and why they may or may not work.
Below is the list of different types of pasta which Tony sent to me. I used the lists to create one list which I could work with to produce my pasta measure.
This was one of my initial proposed ideas to stick two funnels together and create my own freestanding measure. I also proposed that I could create it out of wood and ask woodwork to help me, but then I realised that this wouldn't be practical and in keeping with all of their other products so I decided against the idea.
When reviewing the possible materials I could use to create the product, I wrote down all of the positives and negatives that came to my mind straight away. It became even more obvious to me at this stage that I should stick with the idea of plastic and find a way of portraying this through my work without having to create the form myself.
The most successful idea in terms of being the most practical and achievable with the resources I have, is the one shown below. The measuring cup would essentially be a part of the packaging for a bag of pasta and the bag would sit inside of it.
When I got thinking about the product I got myself concerned with the fact that I was thinking too much like a product designer and not a graphic designer. I therefore decided to take a step back and reconsider which is what the post below is about. I realised that I can just propose the product to look like plastic once I have mocked it up using card instead. At the end of the day, the design of the measurer isn't going to be scientifically tested and therefore is purely conceptual at this stage, until I have a meeting with WRAP or Love Food Hate Waste about the possibility of it being manufactured.
Below is a list of the things I need to achieve by the end of the brief. I have also written out all of the questions I needed answering from Phil at LGP so that I can refer back to them if I need to.
Below are some of my initial prototypes made out of paper when I was trying to figure out the shape of the pasta measure.
With this example I wanted to experiment with the edge to make it look like a piece of pasta. I had fun experimenting before I realised how impractical this would be to reproduce out of plastic.
Initial Developed Box
This is the first box I designed properly to take to the group crit at college. I was really pleased with the initial design as I could see clearly where all of the information would be placed. I didn't have the chance to design the inside properly and at this stage the information was on the outside which wasn't ideal or clear enough.
Once I had made the initial prototype I realised that the sides of the box needed to be slightly more tapered. I remembered that I had a dish which would be the perfect template to work from. This was really helpful as I was able to measure the dish and work out whether to make it larger or smaller once I had tested a few examples.
Arranging the Pasta
I decided to go to Tesco and find an existing packet of pasta which I could easily redesign. This is the only example I could use as everything else had full colour print on them. Below are some photographs of me changing the original pasta for smaller penne pasta. I did this because it is the regular size which is most commonly eaten around the world.
I created a funnel to try and gradually place all of the pasta into the bag because I didn't want to rip it too much and then not be able to seal it up again.
Below are all of my variations once I had sorted out the form of the packaging. I experimented using the colours provided in the Love Food Hate Waste brand guidelines. I also experimented with drawing the pasta out myself by hand but decided that it would look more professional and in keeping with the brand if I did them on Illustrator instead.
When I was designing the back label I had difficulty placing the barcode in a suitable place. At first I wanted it to be at the top of the label so that it could be bought easily without having to remove it from the measuring cup. But then I decided that this wouldn't really be an issue, and if the cup was reproduced in plastic anyway, it probably wouldn't be distributed in the same way, as this would mean that every time someone buys a pack of pasta they would receive yet another measuring cup and so this would produce excess materials and waste.
Front and back label
I wanted to redesign the front and back label to make it all my own. I wanted to prove that the label on the front can be just as effective without all of the embellishments that the finest pasta label had on it. This brief however wasn't so much focused on the design of the packaging, but more so on the pasta measure. This was just an added extra which I wanted to experiment with and experience printing labels.
The night before going to LGP to print I asked a couple of people for feedback and one person said that I had made the whole thing too deep, so I decided to make these amendments and since having it printed I am so glad that I did otherwise it would have looked too big.
When I went to LGP to have my work printed I had a couple of variations printed out to choose from. Below are some photographs just to show the difference between the coated and uncoated label paper. I have also posted the first image to show the difficulty I had initially with using photo mount on the back of one to stick it down to the other side. This is when I decided to carefully use double sided tape instead.
Unfortunately when I was applying the label and organising the pasta inside I ripped the bag, but thankfully I had a spare to use instead.