Wednesday 29 January 2014

OUGD505 - Design Practice 2: Study Task 1 (Research Plan)

Before we present our research next week I want to have the following complete:

Primary Research

- Discussions with Speech Therapist
- Discussions with my Auntie about Angelman Syndrome
- Gather any materials I may already have at home
- Find out whether designs would differ depending on the age

Secondary Research

- Augmentative and alternative communication research (as recommended by Emma (Speech Therapist)
- Further research into speech therapy
- Further research into Angelman Syndrome
- Research existing educational games
- Research PECS - Existing materials which are used to help patients with autism and related disabilities
- Find examples of graphic design specifically used within the NHS to help with learning
- Look at digital methods of communication

Once I have completed the above research I will then have a strong foundation of facts and examples of design to work with in the near future. I am also likely to add to this research along the way depending on anything else I may come across.

I think this is going to be really challenging but extremely interesting at the same time. I feel as though researching alternative methods of communication for those with disabilities will allow me to gain a lot of knowledge and will also give me a strong moral incentive to design something worthwhile and beneficial to a large population. 

No comments:

Post a Comment