Tuesday 18 November 2014

OUGD601 - Context of Practice 3: Meeting with Tesco and 40 Organisations

Today I had a meeting with 40 different groups of people from all over Liverpool. This meeting was organised during the last meeting I had with Shelley from Tesco and Tony Scott. When we arrived there were 6 different round tables to sit around. Everyone was mixed up so that we could all get to know each other. It was quite a daunting experience to some extent as there were a lot of important people there who could actually really help me and my project/context of practice. 



We started off by going round each table and introducing ourselves to everyone else in the hall. I explained how I was a graphic design student looking to design something which would help the community to reduce food and packaging waste in some way. I also said that I had had a lot of involvement with Love Food Hate Waste and I am hoping to work with them closely in the future. 

Mark and Ben who I had previously emailed from Tesco were both there, one of them was sat on my table. I wrote down as many notes as I could with information regarding certain activity in Liverpool and what everyone is trying to achieve within their own agendas.


I spoke to Mark and Ben about the idea we had had about improving the location of their food collection bank within the store. They explained their reasoning behind having it at the end of the store, because people have been known to actually take food out of the basket and keep it for themselves. I also explained the idea of having a POS display on the way in to encourage people to donate more food and be aware of it before they start shopping as opposed to afterwards. With them having their design team down in London, I found it hard to convince them to allow me to participate in some way. I decided that it would probably be easier to focus on Love Food Hate Waste instead, as I already have Tony as a contact, and I will be more likely to design something which can be applied to the real world. 


I was also introduced to Liz Goodwin who is in charge of WRAP. Tony Scott introduced me to her, which was brilliant as we were able to discuss everything they already do and their plans for the future. Liz was saying how successful Love Food Hate Waste has been.


At the end of the meeting, Shelley gave everyone a little bag with a Christmas card and sweets to say thank you for attending. I took it upon myself to use this as an opportunity to explain my conversation with Tesco and how it is probably going to be too hard to make our initial idea happen. She said she would try her best and keep thinking of any ideas. 



One thing I really noticed today, was the fact that every individual organisation had their own agenda and their own targets. I discussed this with Tony at the end of the meeting and said it would make a lot more sense for them to all group together, have a larger budget to work with, and try and achieve their goals as a community. 

Shelley mentioned that it would be good to design a magazine which could be printed and given out to each individual organisation so that everyone is aware of what each other is doing within the community, because at the moment a lot of them are just down the road from each other and don't really know what they are doing. I have offered to design this magazine, so this could be a potential future live brief to work on which is really positive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment